We've known about the Rockets' plan to offer Bulls restricted free agent Omer Asik a heavily backloaded three-year, $25 million offer sheet for quite some time now, but due to several factors, the Bulls are still waiting on a signed offer sheet to actually be submitted. First the Marcus Camby sign-and-trade was holding things up, and then the Jeremy Lin offer sheet got in the way. With the Lin situation on the verge of resolution (The New York Times' Howard Beck first reported that the Knicks would likely NOT match Lin's own three-year, $25 million offer sheet from Houston), the Asik offer sheet will be next on the docket for the Rockets.
But according to Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle, there will be a bit more waiting first:
Once it is official on Lin, Rockets will have to waive one player, wait 48 hours, then sign Omer Asik to offer sheet and begin that process.— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 17, 2012
So after all this time, there will still be 2-3 more days of waiting before Asik actually signs the offer sheet. Then the Bulls will have three days to decide whether to match or not. Considering how long Bulls management has had to mull this decision, one would think they'd have their minds made up already. Then again, K.C. Johnson has made it a point to tell us that they've "agonized" over the decision, so perhaps this extra time will allow them to agonize a little more. At this point, I'm almost indifferent on what route the Bulls choose. I just want it to be resolved soon.