Obviously we're all eager to have Kevin Love sign an extension in any deal the Bulls make for him, or at least have him opt-in to that extra year on his contract. But what's the most the Bulls should give up in a "rental" trade, in which Kevin does not agree to sign an extension because he wants to taste free agency? And what "rental" deal are the T-Wolves likely to pull the trigger on, as opposed to just keeping Love and waiting things out until the trade deadline?
The latest chatter has Minnesota waiting at least until after the draft to make any deals. If they're willing to suspend that prerogative, here's my offer:
Bulls trade: Carlos Boozer, all of our non-guaranteed contracts, 2014 first round pick (#16), and 2016 first round pick.
T-Wolves trade: Kevin Love and one other person they want to dump on us (Barea, Shved, or Brewer)
Why I feel this works for the Bulls: We get Kevin FREAKING Love, even if it's potentially only for a year. But we'd also be able to resign him for more than anyone else. Plus if we make a great run, that gives him all the more incentive to resign with us, or at least opt-in on his final year. If it doesn't work out, we still have some cap flexibility. We have another first round pick this year, and if the Kings and the Cavs make it out of the top 10 in 2015's draft, we have their picks as well.
Why I feel this works for the T-Wolves: They get Carlos FREAKING Boozer. Ok, it's not that exciting. But it's a quality starter and money off their books in a year. The non-guaranteed contracts help their cap room too. The picks are the true selling point, particularly since this is a rental. This is a nice draft and with picks #13 and #16, they could easily trade up.
Potential Pitfalls: Kevin Love says, "I won't sign an extension with Chicago, but I will with Team so-and-so." Obviously any team guaranteed an extension from Love will trump our deal in a New York minute. Also, what if Derrick never fully recovers? The Bulls can't afford to be giving up draft picks in such a scenario and risk Love leaving after a year.
So what do you think? Would you pull the trigger? Will the T-Wolves receive a better "rental" trade than this? If we pulled this off, would we have enough ammunition to go after Melo in a sign-and-trade?