Chicago Bulls offseason: Some Bulls Minutes Math shows losing depth isn't "standing pat"

[This was a FanPost I've promoted (and massaged) -yfbb]

Neil Hayes of the Sun-Times writes that with the recent rumors of a Luol Deng trade or Brandon Roy signing unlikely, the Bulls will remain 'mostly the same'.

Untrue! Let me make some simple assumptions about next year based on last year. Here are the minutes each guy played as a percent of the total minutes the Bulls played.

Player

%Minutes

C.Boozer

12%

D. Rose

9%

L. Deng

13%

J. Noah

12%

K. Korver

9%

T. Gibson

8%

C.J. Watson

7%

R. Brewer

10%

J. Lucas

5%

R.Hamilton

4%

O. Asik

6%

J. Butler

2%

M.James

1%

V. Cigar

1%

100%

So, now lets assume that CJ, Brewer and Korver are gone.

And as rough estimate, perhaps Rose will be available for the last 25% of the season and Deng for the last half of the season. That would put them on board for about 3% and 7% of the total minutes respectively (10% combined), whereas last year they combined to play about 22% of the team's total minutes.

Add that up, and the three guys who will be gone played 26% of the Bulls minutes and Rose and Deng will miss a further 12% of the minutes they played last year.

Note too that Noah, Boozer, Taj and Asik can’t really raise their minutes to fill this gap. They’ve filled in something like 38% of the minutes, which is basically all the minutes at the 4 and 5. Any increase in minutes from one of those guys is do to a decrease in the minutes of another, and not filling the gap.

Altogether it means the Bulls will be replacing 39% of last year's minutes with new faces.

Those new faces will include Jimmy Butler. And additionally, as KC Johnson reports while also not expecting a bigger move, could be a #29 draft pick and "veterans on minimum deals".

Have a nice day.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Blog a Bull

You must be a member of Blog a Bull to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Blog a Bull. You should read them.

Join Blog a Bull

You must be a member of Blog a Bull to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Blog a Bull. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker